Tuesday, November 15, 2005

when the going gets weird, the weird get violent

Had lunch yesterday with a friend who is off to Australia this morning for 6 weeks. We got into a discussion of film making. I was reminded of a scene from Terry Gilliam's "The Fisher King". Robin Williams plays a homeless man with psychological problems, he has a crush of Amanda Plummer's character. The scene I have in mind, she walks in to Grand Central Station, the instant she crosses the threshold, all the people in the station, start dancing, glitter balls lower from the ceiling, and the entire building for the few moments it takes Amanda Plummer to walk across the mezzanine, becomes a magical, wonderful place. I love that scene, to me, that's what filmmaking is about, bringing magic to the world, even if it's just for a few seconds.

I'm uneasy this morning, I have a crawling across my scene, which I'm assuming is foreboding of something awful about to happen. Then again, I may just have allergies. We're on the verge of one of the most confusing election calls I've ever participated in. Not entirely certain what the opposition is up to, because it's a plan that's certain to backfire. History has shown us that rural canadians do not like to vote in the winter, especially around Christmas. The right, which has it's traditional base in rural Canada appears to be ready to force an non confidence motion. Urban Canadians, tending to skew Liberal and New Democrat, will most certainly be the one voting in higher percentages, leaving a battered and wounded opposition. Gomery II will come out in February, and the opposition will have no political capitol with it. Harper's being petulant, and in 7 weeks he'll be paying a price.

It's not a certain thing whether I'll be working in this election or not. I don't believe I will, AW seems to be disenchanted with the process which I don't flaw him for. The crazed loons in the suburbs are not a particular appealing voter bloc to me.

No comments: