Monday, November 21, 2005

Give me a ship, and a star to sail her by




This fog is getting creepy, third day in a row. Perhaps it was too much Poe in my youth, perhaps it's just my natural uneasiness, but when I can't see across the street, I get a little weirded out. Even the birds are quiet in this fog.

Thinking further about the US as the new Roman Empire, I'm pondering the hilarious escapades of GWB at the press conference yesterday. Watching him trying to bolt from the conference only to have a run in with a locked door aside from being hilarious on a Jerry Lewis level was telling, the man doesn't like to be made uncomfortable, much like royalty of the past, he pays lip service to being a servant of the people, but when it gets awkward, it's time to leave.

One of the flaws with the US system, there's no legally mandated accountability, should a US president choose, he does not have to answer any question he doesn't want to, from anyone. If a president chooses not to have a press conference, there's no press conference. Short of a summons to appear before the house, which would be unlikely with a house controlled by the same party as the president, it's conceivable that in my lifetime we will have an invisible president in the white house. Once elected, barricading himself in the White House never to be seen.

No comments: