Saturday, November 19, 2005




I've been giving some thought to why the progressive movement has failed to capture the minds of the population of the United States. Most of the western world has embraced the progressive movement. Looking at the gay rights movement in the past 15 years, it would have been absurd to think that gay marriage would be a common thing in my lifetime. In 1988, a member of parliament observed that half of all women were abused by their spouses or common law partners, she was responded with laughter by the other members of the house. Recycling was something hippies did.

Even pre 9/11 the United States was slow in embracing progressive thought, look at the way the word Liberal is used as an insult. I can understand the shift post 9/11, war makes everyone paranoid. The United States is rapidly becoming this island of backward thinking compared to the rest of the west. The inherent contradiction in this, is that the US thinks of itself as the exporter of ideas.

There's a sinister fog rolling into the city this morning, I'm not sure but I think I can hear dogs howling in the distance. This doesn't bode well on voting day. I'm leery of the results tonight, not sure how they'll go. Sullivan's an unpleasant man, and I'm not sure Green has what it takes to be mayor. A lot of wonderful pie in the eye ideas, but no practical discussion of how to implement them. Coming back to my point about the failure of the progressive movement, this is why the movement, while making progress seems to stall, they're very good at undoing stuff, that's easy, but not so good at implementing new policies.

No comments: