Thursday, November 03, 2005

A few shining moments of inspiration yesterday, I'm going to break my own rules and talk about my observations of something. I went and saw "Good Night, and Good Luck" yesterday with some good company. The opening and closing scenes, of Murrow giving a speech in 1958, in which he lectures the Radio and Television News Directors Association gave me goosebumps. Where are the Murrows today? Would we even allow an Edward R. Murrow today? Well, we do have them, we just ignore them, Seymour Hersh comes to mind. The rest of the mind is very well done, a finely crafted piece of historical drama. Clooney needs to work on how to use black and white effectively, but an outstanding piece of work.

The sense of grey this morning is creating a very disturbing palette outside the bunker windows. Awash in a steel hue, the colour has seeped into all the other colours visible. The building across the way, normally a disturbingly bright hue of green, is the colour of dead broccoli. There's an apartment across the way, which has brilliant red walls inside, even looks dull this morning. When the end comes, it will be a day like today. The citizens lulled into a sense of complacency, unable to stir any resistance because their energy has been sapped by Seasonal Affective disorder. I think we should be using vitamin E supplements, and high powered lighting in order to ensure civic awareness.

Had an interesting conversation about people who turn into stalkers yesterday. What is it that turns people into obsessives? Is it our culture that rewards mania? We cheer on people who devote their lives to a single cause, our own Vancouver yearly makes a celebrity of the Vancouver Canucks superfan, a 40 something man who still lives in his parent's basement who obsesses about all things to do with the Vancouver Canucks. We have trade shows and conventions devoted to TV shows, we create languages based on a television show. Obsession is a strange thing, when does one go from devotion to dangerous, when is the shift from getting revenge due to a supposed wrong to hunting down prey. When that supposed wrong is illusory, how does one inject reality back into the situation, or should one adapt to another's unreality and react to it?

We all create our own obsessions though don't we? I deal with mine, by writing music and poetry, that allows the emotional release I need. Let's me revisit those emotions when I want to. Is this necessarily a healthy thing, I don't know. Those works are available if she ever wants to see them, but they exist for my eyes only. However, even that can take a dangerous turn if it were to happen 24/7, if all my energies turned to one person who did not return my feelings. Perhaps obsession is sometimes just a result of poor social chemistry. My affections will find another, one day, and I'll look back fondly on these days of fruitless pining. Until then, I bask in the glow of a friendship that for now, makes me feel just a little bit more human.

No comments: