Wednesday, November 16, 2005




There was a disturbance in the calm last night at the bunker. There were rumours of snow. The temperature has dropped substantially in the past few days, and in my delicate state I'm inclined to believe just about anything. I moved back to Vancouver nearly 4 1/2 years ago to get away from snow.

Alas waking up this morning those rumours of apocalypse turned out to be false. Anyone who has been through a first snowfall in Vancouver will understand why I felt the need to dust off and oil the rifles. This city panics, freaks out, goes bonkers, wigs out, goes crazy. As Canadians we do not do our reputations any favours. Having grown up in Ottawa I'm used to snow, I don't like it but I'm used to it.

A recovering cokehead has been elected to be the leader of the PQ, this can't be a good thing. Parizeau, the last leader who led the PQ through a referendum, let alcohol cloud his judgement which led to the infamous "money and the ethnic vote" line, which I felt was useful in portraying the inherent racism of the sovereignty movement.

Personally and socially, things are shaky. I'm in a state of calm right now, nothing terribly good, nothing terribly bad going on. I have a feeling that could change at any moment, and not for the better. Listening to "Bitches Brew" last night on the music box, combined with an apocalyptic weather forecast, led to tremendous sense of unease as I pondered the bowl of oranges on the counter. There's an almost subliminal which made things very eerie last night after work. Pondering the apocalypse, combined with Jazz/Rock fusion does not make for an easy nights sleep.

No comments: