Friday, December 16, 2005

It's not often that you meet people who not only admit their eccentric, but thrive on their eccentricity. When I do meet such people I like to keep close ties to them. These are the people who are the most honest. Conformity is easy but also dishonest. Downplaying one's own personality in order to gain acceptance from one's peers is sadly , very common and also remarkably dishonest. I've never tried to fit in, I've got my own thing going, people can either accept it or walk away. When I do meet people who embrace the things that make them different, I know I've met someone who is being honest with themselves and others.

The sun has burst through the interminable fog finally, two days of sun, casting light on the devastation below. Sequestered here in the bunker, I'm able to survey what has gone on. Venturing outside is a possibility, the name sake of this journal has been calling to me. I haven't "strolled the lagoon" in ages, weeks perhaps.

The lagoon itself is a strange and perhaps fitting paradox for this journal. It is one of the most beautiful sites in Vancouver. It's also the location of a sexual predator who in the past 18 months has attacked several women. How did something that was designed, and cultivated for beauty, by the actions of one man become a destination for fear?

No comments: