Monday, December 26, 2005


It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
H. L. Mencken

In the almost 30 years since FISA was passed, of the 19,000 warrant applications, only 4 (FOUR!) have been rejected. Yet the President of the United States found this court was too ponderous to bother with and illegaly ordered wiretaps of US citizens.

News like the above depresses me immensely. Especially when there is no protesting in the streets, no calls for immediate impeachment, no barricades set up in front of the White House demanding resignations. I'm not so much disappointed in Bush and crew as I am disappointed in the voters of the US for not standing up to this obscenity.

If he gets away with this, the door is opened to all sorts of abuse of civil rights. Rights are fragile things, once taken away it's almost impossible to regain them. It's nearly impossible to take away a right, but in the west we seem to be tripping over ourselves to hand them away.

No comments: