Wednesday, October 12, 2005

looking for a human being

Woke up this morning thinking of Diogenes. I'm not sure why that story has popped into my head, I haven't thought of him in 6 years.

For those not familiar, Diogenes, for lack of a better word, was an eccentric teacher, who wandered the streets of ancient Athens, shining a lantern in people's faces, announcing that he was looking for a human being.

A lot can be discovered about one's self if they walk around by themselves in the dark, much more than can be discovered walking with someone. One of the aspects of the duality of man is that we are a different person when we're with a partner than we are when we're by ourself. We censor our thoughts, catch our tongues before we speak. We find a common ground about the topics of conversation, don't necessarily talk about what we want to talk about.

This has been a frustration for me for the past 49 months, we're on the tipping point of the world becoming a autocratic dictatorship run out of Washington. It would appear that very, very few people are willing to try and wrap their brains around it. It's not a deliberate effort by the states to "take over" the world, it's seen as a necessity for their cultural survival and security.

The progressive movement wounded has been wounded in the states. I'm a member of a number of talk groups in the states, and the progressives are literally shell shocked, they don't know what to do, reading the books they're sitting back and watching a "brave, new world" being created in front of them that scares the bejeesus out of them.

in my attempt to keep my intellectual sanity, I've switched my energies to keeping alive the thriving progressive movement in Canada, and to a more active extent, here in Vancouver. The schism between the US and Canada has never been greater, and this is what frightens me. I'm worried that within my lifetime a certain part of the US population will say, "enough is enough, this experiment ends now" and put us under supervision and undo the changes that we've made, and dismantle our safety net.

No comments: