Sunday, October 09, 2005

At what price loyalty?

IN all the aspects of my life, to varying degrees of scale I have met the same kinds of managers. I have met those who seek blind loyalty yet provide none themselves, those who do not expect loyalty and therefore do not provide it, and those who expect and provide it. The latter have always been the most demanding, and at the same time, the most rewarding people I have associated with. As for myself, I have always given the same loyalty, and more that I have received. I was very lucky in developmental years, the experiences that I had I learned the importance of loyalty, my involvement in the political process taught me that there were a lot of people out there willing to sell you out for a bag of silver, or any other negotiatible price. I had the good fortune of meeting several people in my life who gave complete loyalty to me, and I've always provided the same towards them. My political mentor, even though my loyalty to him has probably set back any political hopes of mine about 10 years, taught me that political loyalty in the long term will ultimately sit me in better stead than people who abandon their horses mid stream when a better horse comes along.

It's funny, I have a reputation in the BC political world for being fiercely loyal, but at the same time, while several politicians have sought out that loyalty, I have found that many of them are somewhat intimidated by the ferocity of that loyalty, and apologize that they will not be able to reciprocate. I do not, have not, expect the same loyalty back (I've been burned too many times, professionally, and personally). All I have expected is common courtesy, and a certain amount of respect. The only real price I have wanted is, I want to be able, behind closed doors, to be able to speak my mind. I'm very plain spoken, in political terms, a straight shooter. I call it like I see, and I do not stand back and try to couch terms in political expediancy or niceties. Life is too short to be nice. I want to win, and the only way a progressive candidate is going to win is unless there is complete honesty.

No comments: