Wednesday, October 26, 2005

gremlins

My skull has been opened and the gremlins are running loose all over the bunker this morning, a late start to the day, much to my dismay, as I had too much to do. It's become evident by some of the letters I've received that not as many people are as familiar with Joseph Conrad as I thought(hoped?).

"The sea reach of the Thames stretched before us like the beginning of an interminable waterway. In the offing the sea and the sky were welded together without a joint, and in the voluminous space the tanned sails of the barges drifting up with the tide seemed to stand still in red clusters of canvas sharply peaked, with gleams of varnished sprits. A haze rested on the low shores that ran out to sea in vanishing flatness. The air was dark above Gravesend, and further back still seemed condensed into mournfull gloom, brooding motionless over the biggest, and the greatest, town on Earth."

The above paragraph from "heart of darkness" is the paragraph I read when I was 12, that made me want to become a writer, the painting that takes with the combination of those words, is quite simply in my opinion, the most beautiful combination of words I have ever seen.

for nearly a quarter century, I've had those words committed to my brain, when I have a writer's block, that's what pops into my head and reassures me that true beauty is only a pen stroke away.

Oasis is spinning on the disc player this morning, and the anger of the Gallagher brothers seems to be feeding the internal angst. gazing around the bunker, I'm drawn to all the flaws in my housekeeping procedures. I wish I had a box big enough to put everything in and just hose the damn place down.

9:24 hit and the feeds went crazy today stories of Rove Cheney and Scooter burning the wires. When the indictments come down today, they're sure to cause chaos and insanity. The only thing I fear, well not the only thing but certainly the biggest thing today, is that if those three are removed from the white house, all the brain trust is gone, this will leave Bush to his own intellectual devices, then gods help us all.

No comments: