Saturday, October 01, 2005

the hard lessons of loyalty

If I were to invest millions of dollars in property and infrastructure to build a business I would want to make sure that I surrounded myself with (a) people I trust, and (b)people who are loyal to me.

I think this is true for most businesses when they start out. However, once the management process devolves down from the original investor to a management team, those priorities became skewed. The most important thing is the bottom line, come hell or high water.

A staff with divided loyalties, means divided directions, and an unwillingness to make personal sacrifices, be they personal, emotional, or labour related.

Where does this come from? Last week one of my co-workers was assaulted by a guest who had been trapped in an elevator for less than an hour. After being released, the guest charged a co workerer chasing her into a stairwell where he put his arms and legs into such a position that she was unable to move. She did manage to break away and informed the manager of what had just happened. The manager, showing his true loyalties, didn't remove the guest from the hotel, or summon the police, he sent the guest a wine and cheese platter. Perhaps the most distressing aspect of this, the young woman who was the victim of this yuppie ape from the states is the front office manager's "favourite", and considers her a friend.

The rest of us, standing back and watching this, have come to realize that if similiar situations arise, we'll be left out to dry.

No comments: