Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What men value in this world is not rights but privileges.
H. L. Mencken




If, as a society, we're constantly fed bread and circuses will we tolerate the extinguishment of our rights. On a rare day off I flipped around the TV channels, the multi channel universe was full of products to buy, movies to watch, and music to listen to. Laughs were to be had, and senses to be titillated. Will all of these things sate us enough for us to abandon our privacy?

As long as we're entertained will we tolerate the fact that we are no longer able to have a confidential conversation with our spouse? As long as we're able to see Paris Hilton, will we accept that we can no longer express dissent, without having a file opened up on us?

We're heading into an election in 19 days and I've never been less engaged in the public process. That being said, this is probably one of the most important elections we've had in awhile. One party will seek to repair ties with the Holy American Empire, while the others will fiercely maintain our independence. Sitting here this morning, hoping the fog doesn't return I'm pondering the future, wondering if indeed there is one that will allow me to continue writing this blog, should I choose to for the rest of my life.

Are the days of dissent over. I suspect they nearly are.

No comments: