Friday, January 06, 2006

To die for an idea; it is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it would be if men died for ideas that were true!
H. L. Mencken




The sun is out this morning, a rare treat. It almost brightens my soul a little bit, however I open the newspaper and any optimism I have is quickly evaporated.

Watched an old movie last night, well, not really old, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". That final scene, the showdown with the bolivian army, the look of joy on their faces in their final act of defiance is one that I can relate to. My final act of defiance I hope also contains that same Joie de Vie.

I do suspect that in the future, acts of defiance will come with the ultimate price. We are increasingly moving towards a society ever controlled, increasingly impatient with any thoughts out of the mainstream.

When did freedom of thought become socially uncomfortable? When did defiance of the norm make you a social pariah?

No comments: