Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Cold of the Dead


Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop.
H. L. Mencken

My sleep patterns have been thrown completely askew in recent weeks, and I believe I'm on the road back to normalcy. Well, as normal as life can get in the bunker.

Watching Aalito's confirmation hearing this morning is not good for my sensibilities. I'm thrown back to Allen Drury's classic, advise and consent, and I'm reminded that the whole purpose of the questioning process by the Senate was to vette candidates to find which ones would be suitable for the post they've been nominated to, however the process has instead become a fashion show of poltical posturing. Neither side is going to come out of this battle very well, and the US supreme court will be much the weaker for it. Aalito joined a pro discrimination, anti women organization when he was in his thirties, and that fact is being painted as a political smear, to be used by his opponents.

Facts have become weapons, to be countered with distortions. The world is a surreal place, politics made up of shades of grey.

Rocking out with Arcade Fire this morning, the day is calling out for electric guitars, perhaps it's the rare appearance of the sun, perhaps the impending sense of apocalypse I feel. When the end of the world comes, it will be accompanied by the sounds of feedback.

No comments: