Thursday, November 16, 2006


“Lack of loyalty is one of the major causes of failure in every walk of life”

Napoleon Hill


A vicious and unpleasant storm whipped past the bunker last night, a perfect companion for my mood.

Sitting on the couch, staring at the window as the tempest tore past, I thought of issues of loyalty, solidarity, and faith. I wondered why it is, loyalty has become such a rare thing that it is to be treasured like a rare diamond, why is it so difficult for people to remain loyal to each other?

I have learned in the past few years to hold those people, who are loyal, very close. I have come to learn that those people are rare. 'Tis better to have a few people around who do know of loyalty, and practice it, than a lot of people in my life who would betray me at the drop of a hat.

This lesson I learned during my salad days in the political game. I heard a phrase, at a meeting, that stuck with me. "Dance with the one that brung ya". In the short term, loyalty has cost me, it's cost me jobs, it's cost me a career, and I'm not sure how many thousands of dollars. It has however rewarded me more than any amount of money, I've got a circle of people around myself whom I trust with my life.

As I shuffle into different environments I meet new people, and I foolishly head into friendships and companionships expecting the same loyalty and honour among these new people. Alas, most of the time it's not meant to be.

No comments: