Sunday, September 25, 2005

Hope?

Sometimes as jaded as I get, as cynical as I become, sometimes something happens that restores my faith that the system works.

I worked last night, fully prepared to come home to read about Christy Clarks landslide win in the NPA nominating meeting. However, when I looked at the news I discovered that instead, the unpleasant had defeated the corrupt.

Sam Sullivan is an unpleasant man, a right wing ideologue, who I believe will do more harm than good to the city if he wins. However, he comes by his right wing thinking honestly and he's not corrupt and rotten to the core.

When Christy Clark entered the nominating race, and suddenly hundreds, if not thousands of membership forms flooded the NPA offices, rules were being changed to accomodate her nomination, I assumed, in my jaded experience, that her nomination was a foregone conclusion.

Sullivan has won however. This makes the civic election all the more interesting in November. It takes a little steam out my sails though, as I had been girding for a fight against evil. Now I must prepare for a fight against the unpleasant.

Now, as I contemplate the results of yesterday meeting, does this mean that sometimes corruption can be defeated? Christy Clark is so crooked, so beyond redemption, that she needed help twisting into her clothes in the morning.

As I said, sometimes, something happens that restores my faith in the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What on earth are you talking about?

What is corrupt about Christy Clark?

There were no rule changes made at all -- that's why Christy lost -- if they opened up the voting hours to accomodate everyone (which would have been a sensible rule change), she would have won.

Christy is a strong, intelligent, hard working woman. What on earth has she ever done to be considered "corrupt"?

Chris Childs said...

Well, your comment is about two months too late, but here we go. She resigned on the eve of the results of the RCMP investigation being released, in which her husband and brother were key targets. Suddenly her family is of paramount importance to her. Less than a year later, after no direct ties to her are found, suddenly public service beckons again. She digs up some old NPA hacks, who try to manipulate the rules to allow her to bury the NPA in an avalanche of memberships. This is an old trick, tried and true in the BC Liberal party, and the federal Liberals. I've seen it time and time again. Shadow candidates run around behind the scenes signing up blocs of supporters, unbound by the rules, while candidates who are out in the open play by the rules. At the last minute, when all the skullduggery is done, suddenly rule changes allow these shadow candidates to achieve the upper hand.

My question for Christy Clark, what vitamins are you feeding your kid, that he no longer requires the presence of his mother, like you said a year ago.