Sunday, July 24, 2005

Things get violent, but in a disney, family friendly kind of way

Living in Vancouver's west end, once a year residents have to put up with something called the "Symphony of Fire".

A few years back I referred to it as "Apocalypse Now" as if presented by the Disney company. I stand by that description, for four days a year I have to put up with literally a quarter million people wandering by my living room and bedroom window.

Until 2-3 in the morning teenagers in body and mind feel compelled to scream at the top of their lungs as they meander past, under the influence of wine coolers and fruit flavoured schnapps. If that were not bad enough, I also have to put up with helicopters equipped with high power searchlights combing my neighbourhood looking for god knows what.

The big difference this year, I don't have to get up at 4:30 in the morning this year, the new job doesn't require my attendance until late in the afternoon so hopefully I will be able to get my square 6 hours sleep. Watching movies will be out of the question, as will reading, listening to the radio or anything else that requires any modicum of attention. I'm beginning to think that perhaps going out to a movie is a good idea.

Now, one may be asking yourself, why not go to the fireworks and enjoy the show? I feel honour bound as a resident of the west end, NOT to enjoy the show. Watching things go boom is not my idea of high brow entertainment.

No comments: